So i don’t know about everyone else but I could do with a bit of sun and sand maybe a cocktail some relaxing by the pool…… Well unless you have a tonne of cash to spare then probably like me will take anything that reminds you of the hot hot tropical beaches.
So fear not i have come up with a replacement for all those sad vibes. Some yummy Lime and Coconut Cookies that are not just gluten free but also vegan. There not going to solve any diet problems but hey we all need a treat every once in a while. So enjoy my recipe and get making:
Ingredients: Makes 12 large cookies or 18 medium size
Zest of 4 Limes, Juice of 2 of them
400g gluten free plain flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
70g desiccated coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
75g vegetable fat (i use Trex)
150g dairy free margarine ( Vitalite)
75g light brown muscovado sugar
75g golden caster sugar
170 g brown sugar
3tsp egg replacement powder (vegan egg) mixed with 1 tbsp lukewarm water
1. Preheat oven to 180c/gas mark 4 and grease 2 baking sheets or line with greaseproof paper.
2. Zest the limes and juice 2 of the limes, i always roll my limes before juicing as this makes it so much easier to get all the juice out.
3. In a bowl cream together the butter, vegetable fat, all the sugars, zest of and juice of the limes.
4. In a second bowl mix the flour, bicarb, baking powder, xanthan gum and desiccated coconut until completely combined.
5. In a third bowl mix the egg replacement powder and warm water.
6. Finally add all the dry ingredients and the egg replacement to the butter sugar mixture. Using a wooden spoon mix until completely combined.
7. Once combined to make 12 large cookies take a spoonful of the mixture roll into a ball and place on sheet. If you are making medium size just use a dessert spoon and get a good heap of mixture. Make sure you leave a good inch or two to give the cookies room to spread. Sprinkle with some dessicated coconut on top.
8.Bake for 15 minutes for large cookies or 12 minutes for medium size, they will have a slightly golden colour when they’re ready ( any of you who make gluten free will no getting enough colour on a bake is a hard thing to do so don’t worry if there not overly golden).
9.Once out of the oven drop on the kitchen side to flatten the cookies, leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer the cookies to a wire rack. If the cookies look like they are falling apart when you’re moving them just give it another 5 minutes before transferring to the rack.
Hope you all enjoying making the cookies and would love to see on social media if you give it a go using the #freefromfridays. Look out for more recipes coming soon.
Love Mummy Duck