Since the little sister decided to go vegetarian I have been trying to think of more and more ways for us all to enjoy the same meals together. As mum and little sister were coming to stay this week I wanted to make something that we could all that was the same. I’ve been wanting to try a Vegan Bolognese using lentils for a long time now and I think I got it right first time which never happens. So for any of you who would like to try this recipe (which even daddy who is more caveman then woodland fairy loved) here goes:
Serves 4 plus a toddler ( with leftovers)
3 tbsp oil/dairy free margarine
2 Large Carrots, grated
2 Celery sticks, grated or finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
500g passata, (I used Napolina as its our favourite)
2 large, chopped tomatoes
250g green lentils (follow pack instructions for preparation, I never soak mine but everybody likes there lentils different)
700ml vegetable stock (ensure stock cube is vegan)
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
- Heat oil or dairy free margarine in a large heavy frying pan, then add the finely chopped onion and cook on a medium heat till soft and just starting to brown.
2. Add in carrot and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and cook for a further minute.
3. Next add in the passata, vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes, lentils, bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste bring to a boil then leave to simmer for 45 minutes.
4. After 45 minutes check the water level if it’s starting to get a bit dry add some water to top it up. Simmer for a further 15 minutes until lentils are soft.
5. While the lentils are softening boil the pasta follow your pack instructions mine was gluten free pasta so cooking times and methods vary from pack to pack.
6. Once pasta is cooked and lentils are soft drain pasta and add to the Bolognese and stir through.
7. Serve with salad or garlic bread or just on its own.
Hope you all enjoy the recipe I know I will definitely be making it again. Would love to know if you made it and what you think.
Lots of Love