So we have loads of leeks in the fridge today because mummy went crazy in morrisons last week and bought two packs for 25p each I couldn’t say no really. As were back from holiday and I have lots to do I wanted to cook some easy things today.
Since I went dairy free I have really missed leek and potato soup its probably my favourite soup tbh so full of flavour and easy to make. I thought I would make a vegan friendly version to share with you all so here it is:
3 leeks, sliced
2 medium potatoes, diced
1 onion roughly chopped
1 Gallo Onion and Garlic stock cube, (vegetarian would also work if you don’t have these available)
250ml coconut milk
500ml of water
1 tbsp vitalite ( or other dairy free spread)
1. Melt the butter in a pan and add onions and fry till golden.
2. Next add the potato’s and leeks and cover for 5 minutes stirring once or twice to make sure nothing has stuck.
3. Transfer to soup maker or if you don’t have one of these in the pan still is fine.
4. Pour in all the liquid ingredients along with stock cube. Set to smooth setting and leave to cook.
5. If you dont have a soup maker tip in all ingredients as above and simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are soft, then blend.
I also made us some gluten free garlic croutons to go on top really simple fry the cubes of bread (I used bfree as this is the only gluten free we can have) in 2 tbsp of dairy free spread for 2-3 minutes till crisp then add finely chopped garlic for 30 seconds. Super simple and really yummy. I managed to make two batches of soup as I had so many leeks just added more potatoes for my second batch for a thicker soup.
Astrid wasn’t to sure on the croutons as shes never had them before she can be very off put by new things I think a lot of this is due to her allergies and being very cautious with food but the soup was a big hit. I must say having a soup maker is such a blessing I absolutely love mine so much. I would be lost without it now I have a Morphy Richards one but there are quite a few on the market now.
Now for dinner we had a family favourite leek, bacon and mushroom pasta this is an old recipe which my mum has been making since I was small super easy and great tasting. Hope you all like it to
2 leeks, thinly sliced
250g mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 rashers of bacon, chopped
125g dairy free cream cheese (I used violife as we cannot have soya)
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp butter
100ml of dairy free milk or cream
1. Melt butter in saucepan and throw in bacon, mushrooms, leeks and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
2. Whilst this is cooking put the pasta in boiling water and leave to cook till al dente.
3. Once the leeks have started to go soft but still have some bite lower the heat and add the cream cheese.
4. Heat until the cheese has melted then add in the milk and season. Then toss through the cooked pasta.
It is such a simple dish and very yummy, as my sister doesn’t eat much meat these days I made her a separate pasta dish with pease in a cream mint sauce. Really simple heat frozen peas in butter and cover till cooked then throw in dairy free cream cheese and toss through pasta.
Hope you like my recipes and maybe give them a try would love to hear how they go.
Mummy and little duck